Today we’re adding dropdown chips in Google Sheets. This is the latest smart canvas feature highlighting the next evolution of collaboration for Google Workspace. Dropdown chips are a custom formatting feature that is already available in Docs, and they enable you to easily indicate statuses or various project milestones outlined in your Sheet.
Additionally, we’ve modified the workflow for creating and managing all data validation rules, including dropdown chips and checkboxes. You can now view and edit all existing rules that have been created in a specific Sheets tab and create additional rules from a new sidebar view. This update improves the consistency of your overall Sheets experience as this now mirrors the workflows for creating conditional formatting, protected ranges, and named ranges rules.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. You can insert a dropdown chip by selecting Insert > Dropdown or by typing “@” followed by “dropdown”.Visit the Help Center to learn more about inserting smart chips in your Google Sheets.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 8, 2022
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 22, 2022
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Available to users with personal Google Accounts
- Google Help: Insert smart chips in your Google Sheets
- Google Workspace Updates Blog: Use new table templates and dropdown chips in Google Docs to create highly collaborative documents
- Cloud Blog: Transforming collaboration in Google Workspace
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.