Last year, we announced several improvements to spaces in Google Chat to help you better organize people, topics, and projects, which included introducing the space manager role. Currently, managers can:
- Remove and add participants
- Assign or remove the space manager
- Delete a space
- Delete messages
- Edit the space description
- Update space access from restricted to discoverable or vice versa
Starting today, space managers will now have additional capabilities to ensure effective conversations take place in spaces:
- Space configuration: enables space managers to choose if members can change space details, such as name, icon, description, and guidelines, or turn Chat history on/off for the space.
- Member management: allows space managers to decide if members can add or remove members or groups to a space.
- Conversation moderation: authorizes space managers to determine whether members can use @all in a space.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature. Visit the Help Center to learn more about optimizing Chat spaces for your organization.
- End users: Go to the space menu > select “Space settings” > configure space settings and modify permissions as needed. Visit the Help Center to learn more about managing your space settings.
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Not available to users with personal Google Accounts