We’re introducing a new admin control for Google Chat history in unthreaded rooms. With this new control, admins have the option to:
- Set unthreaded room history behavior separately from 1:1 and group conversations: Admins can set the default history state to be either on or off. They can also prevent users from changing the default history setting for unthreaded rooms. Note: this setting does not impact threaded rooms. Threaded room history is always on.
Note that this will only affect organizations that use Chat; it will not impact organizations that still use classic Hangouts. Use our Help Center to learn more about these changes and how they might impact your organization.
Why you’d use it
These new options give you as an Admin more control and flexibility in setting Chat history options for unthreaded rooms.
- Admins: This feature will be ON. Visit the Help Center to learn more about setting the default room history for your users.
- End users: There is no end user setting for this feature.
Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout starting on May 10, 2021. You can set the new Admin console controls when you see them, but it may take a few days before they take effect. This is a one-time delay during the rollout. The settings should work by late May.
Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers.
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Set default room history for users
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Set chat history options for your organization